Monday, February 10, 2020

Trying to Remember

Many, many years ago, my Oma taught me to crochet.  But she taught me in German, and never taught me to read a pattern.

I used to crochet a lot, when I was in high school, I made vests and hats, and sold them.  When the kids were little, I crochet them scarves every year to match their winter jackets.  Over time, I stopped crocheting.  Oma was gone, and I couldn't ask her questions anymore.

I was determined to try it again.  I tried picking up a pattern and some yarn, but I didn't get very far.  The pattern might as well have been written in Greek.....it was all Greek to me.  You Tube didn't help because I didn't know what to look up!

The local yarn shop had beginner classes, but they weren't offered when I was available, and the classes were rather expensive.  I saw an e-mail from 2 Needle Chicks that offered beginner crochet classes at a time that worked for me and they were rather inexpensive, too!  I had met the crochet teacher at the county fair last summer and liked her, so I thought I would give it a try.  I called and was told I was the first person to register, and they needed a minimum of 3 to hold the class.  I wasn't hopeful that two more people would sign up in the next day or two, but they did!  The class was now set!  I had my first class a few days ago, and my fingers remembered what to do once I saw Susan doing the stitches, and now I know what they are called in English!  

I sat down last night to practice, and my brain forgot!  But I read the notes, and looked at You tube and tried it again, and it worked.  I do find that I will have to practice a bit each day, and now the You Tube videos even made sense!   Another class later this week...…….

No comments: