Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Philadelphia, PA

The first weekend in August found me on my way to Philadelphia, for the annual Donauschwaben Labor Day weekend, even though it wasn't Labor Day weekend.

16 members of my children's group performed and did an outstanding job.



It just so happened that my brother and his family were passing through Philadelphia, so I was able to have dinner with them, as well as with my sister-in-law Amy's sister and her family. It was great to see them all.


Monday morning, I set out bright and early to do some sightseeing. I got to see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. It is great to see such historical places!


I stopped off to visit Benjamin Franklin's grave, and dropped the obligatory penny on it.


The next stop was Betsy Ross' house. It was very tiny, but quite moving to walk in the house that was occupied by this famous needlewoman.














For lunch, I stopped at Campo's for a Philly Cheesesteak. One of the national park service employees at the Visitor's Center recommended it. It was yummy!








After lunch, I decided to head back to the hotel. It was hot and humid in Philly and I was beat. I took the bus to the train station and found the Hard Rock Cafe! Another bonus! I was able to get my Hard Rock pin!
I did also manage to find a cross stitch kit of Independence Hall as well as a Liberty Bell Christmas ornament. These three things will make great souvenirs of a fun weekend.

1 comment:

JNoble said...

Okay, so random I know. I am a longtime friend of treys and follow your blog, mainly because it reminds me of watching my mom doing hours of cross stitch, which she no longer does. Anyway. I ran across this article in dallas and thought of you. Why? Because it is needle point of course! Cheers!

http://energyandenvironmentblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/08/needlepoint-designer-organizes.html