Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's a Mystery!

Papillon Creations (http://www.papillon-creations.com/welcome_frame.htm) began a mystery sampler this past January. On the 15th of every month, they release a chart, and you just keep stitching it all together, and after 12 (0r maybe 13, I'm not clear on how many) you have a finished piece. But we don't know what it will look like, that's why it's a Mystery! It is called How Does Your Garden Grow, and looked like it would have flowers in it, so I just collected the charts for awhile but liked what I saw so I decided to go for it!

The sampler comes in three versions: two colors, six colors, or six color specialty stitches. I decided to do the six color specialty stitches as it was a good chance to learn some new stitches. Their instructions for the new stitches are excellent and easy to follow. The biggest dilemma was choosing colors. They tell you to pick four colors for the florals, and two greens. That was a big help! I agonized over the colors for a few months, and then while I was traveling, found that very few shops carried Glorianna silks so I could get my final color of green.


Once I had all the fibres, I needed to pick a fabric. I finally decided to use a wide linen stitch banding by Zweigart. This will be especially handy when the stitching is done. I won't have to pay to have it framed. I will pick some pretty bell pull hardware and sew up the top and bottom and I will be done!


I have just finished part 1, and will be stitching part 2 shortly. I am a bit behind as part 7 and 8 (the August part) have already been released. But it stitches up very quickly, so I should be able to catch up.

On the Papillon site, they have a gallery where stitchers can show their work. There are stitchers from all over the world that are stitching along with this mystery sampler, and it is really interesting to see all the different color, fabric and fibre combinations that are being used. Here is Anni's from Ireland. She has finished part 8 already, and is using most of the same colors that I am.

If anyone is interested in doing this piece, go to the Papillon website and sign up for the newsletter.

1 comment:

kimmyr said...

You've inspired me Eva. I'm goint to the site now. Lovely work my friend!
Kim