Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Seeing the Sights in Memphis

I did a few other things while in Memphis, and I thought I would show some of the photos, lest you think I only saw Graceland.















The first stop was Sun Studios, where Elvis made his first recording. It is now a combination gift shop/lunch counter/souvenier recording studio, but historic none the less.











One of the highligts was St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Due to privacy issues, we were not able to go into the lobby to see the wonderful mural I have heard so much about, but I was very impressed with this bronze sculpture.














The founder, Danny Thomas and his wife are entombed in the memorial garden.




The garden is a lovely, peaceful place. The entire complex is a tribute to a great man, who gave so much for children.
















This larger than life bronze statue of B B King is also at the visitor's center near the one of Elvis.














B B King's restaurant is located on Beale Street, and came highly recommended for lunch.









I had been told to order the ribs, and they were delicious!










After lunch, I went down to the river for a Mississippi river boat ride. Thank goodness for airconditioning!











Even though it was hot, it was a lovely day. Bright and sunny! Did I mention it was hot?




The riverboat ride was very enjoyable, and the naration and historical information was very informative.






1 comment:

Denise said...

I enjoyed seeing your pics. you saw a lot of great things.It makes me want t visit there.
Thank you for sharing
Denise