Thursday, November 30, 2006

It has been a long evening...

First, June the receptionist, took the day off, so I had to work the reception desk most of the day. I should tell you that June is a sweetheart of a little old lady, but to say that she is a bit beyond retirement age is putting it mildly. June is older than God's sandals. She forgets things, and doesn't hear well. She can't remember how to dial the phone sometimes, and can't tell the difference between the phone and the door bell ringing. She tries real hard though, and I hope that when I am her age, I have half of her spunk. But, the days she works, I spend most of the day fixing things she messed up. So understand that June having the day off, and me doing her job in addition to mine is almost easier than when June is at work!

The teen that was supposed to work the afternoon and evening at the reception desk called in sick, and she really was sick. All the other teens had things going on, so I had to work the reception desk for longer than planned. This too, could be considered a blessing, as I was supposed to take minutes at a Parish Council meeting all evening. This meeting was going to be very difficult to get through, as the decision was going to be made, whether to go ahead with the building project or not, and how much money to borrow, and more importantly, how we were going to repay the loans. Since the meeting was going to last late into the night, I was going to join them after I closed the office at 9 pm.

That didn't happen either. At 8 pm I got a call from my sister, Trudi. She was calling from the hospital. She assured me that she was going to be okay, but wanted me to come when I could. So at 9, I rushed over to Northwest Community Hospital emergency room to sit with her while she waited to be seen by the doctor.

Why was she there, you ask? She fell on the train and hit her head and split her forehead open. It was a very nasty cut, requiring over 30 stitches and staples. Although I didn't look too closely, I think they might have shaved a bit of her hair, too. So I held her hand for quite some time, until I lost my patience and started pacing in the hallway. The nurses got the message and the docs soon scurried in to stitch and staple her up. The doc felt it stitched together nicely and the scar should be minimal. The CAT scan revealed that her brain is still intact. Never mind that the entire ordeal took over 4 hours.

She is now at home, with a huge bandage around her head, and a big headache.

I spend far too much time in hospitals......

6 comments:

TreyJ said...

"her brain is still intact."

Were they expecting leakage from the opening?

:-)

Viki said...

Oh, poor Godi!

Kristin said...

sorry about the whole hospitl thing... most of that is my fault!!! but i'm trying not to land myself there anymore than i have to... ;) (knock on wood)

I LOVE YOU MOMMA

and poor poor godi... i love her too!!!

Eva said...

Kristin, it's not just you, I spend lots of time in hospitals with JC too!

Anonymous said...

that's nuts! i hope this wasn't the same person that viki was critical of!

Viki said...

No, the person I was critical of was hit by the train, like on the tracks.