Sunday, January 21, 2018

We Interupt Our Stitching.....

 Saturday at German School, we had some royal visitors.  The Mardi Gras Prince and Princess from the German Mardi Gras Society visited our students.  The came in these very regal costumes
 They spoke to the students about German Mardi Gras customs and explained their costumes and what they do during the Karnival or Fasching season. 
 One of their functions is to present medallions or "Orden" to those that are deserving of such an honor.  Both my sister and I were honored to receive these medallions.
 Here is a better shot of the royal couple.  I just didn't get all the feathers in the hat in the picture.  He has 7 very long pheasant feathers in his hat.
These are the medallions that we received.  This particular prince and princess reigned last year and again this year, which is unusual.  Trudi and I received the special medallions for both years.  These medallions must be worn all year when you are in the presence of the prince.  If you fail to wear it, you then have to buy the prince a bottle of snaps.  I will keep mine in my purse so that it is always with me.  The medallions are very heavy and if you wear more than one, they clank!












These medallions are coveted by many.  I have quite a few that I have received over the years and I have them displayed on a wall in my house.  Each of them are unique and colorful and reflect the interests and personality of the prince and princess that gave it. 

No comments: