Thursday, November 14, 2019

The 5th Season Has Begun!

At the 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of the year, Karnival or Fasching (also known as Mardi Gras) begins.  All over Germany, Karnival Prince and Princesses are crowned.   During this "5th season", which lasts until Ash Wednesday, lots of fun events happen.  During these events, some of the "common folk" are honored for their work and participation by receiving special medals, or in German "Orden".  Once having received one, you MUST wear it to every event and activity, or you have to buy the Prinz a bottle of Snaps!  I received this year's Orden quite early in the season, so I have to be sure and keep it with me at all times lest I have to buy lots of bottles of snaps.




Over the course of the years, I have received quite a few of these medals.  They are quite pretty and I have been displaying them on the wall.  I now need a bigger wall.                                                        

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

This is interesting, thanks for sharing it with us.
Marilyn

Angie said...

Eva, ich wußte nicht, daß Chicago eine Prinzengarde hat. Hoffe, das ich einmal nach Chicago zum Christkindlmarkt kommen kann. Eine Internetbekannte, die auch stickt, hat letztes Jahr vom Markt ein paar Bilder gezeigt. Es sah wunderschön aus. Viel Spaß!

Astrids dragon said...

Look at all those medals! I've never heard about this, I'll have to ask my Mom about it.