two..... my Saturday taste tester group has become quite large, and one pie just wasn't going to be enough! It turned out rather yummy, and I was told "don't change a thing!"
So, here is the recipe:
This pie is best when it is made a day ahead so that it has time to cool and fully set. Once cooled, wrap with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature until served and refrigerate remaining pieces.
Ingredients Serves:10-12 servings
Prep time:10 mins, Cook time:60 mins, Total time:1 hour 10 mins
· 1 9-inch pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 1 cup light corn syrup
· ½ cup butter (1 stick)
· 4 large eggs, beaten
· ¼ cup bourbon
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (approximately 1 cup)
· 1 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a deep dish pie plate with the pie crust, set aside.
2. Combine sugar, corn syrup and butter in a saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until butter melts and sugar completely dissolves. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, combine egg, bourbon, vanilla and salt. Mix thoroughly. Very slowly pour cooled sugar mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly so that the heat from the sugar mixture doesn’t cook the egg mixture. Add the chocolate chips and pecans and stir to mix well.
4. Pour mixture into pie shell. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until set and golden on top.
5. Serve warm or chilled.